Monday, September 26, 2011

week 4 voice; childhood memoir

I am nine years old. My father and I are hunting for deer. We've been out here all day and now it’s starting to get dark, so we are going back to the pickup.
"Daddy my legs hurt." I whine, feeling very sick of walking and ready to go home and play Mario.
"We're almost there. See?" He says as we come out into the big field. I can see the pickup now and grin.
“Finally!” We walk to the truck and get in. Dad says we have a few more minutes until we can’t hunt no more. We sit in the truck looking out the window, he hoping a deer comes out, me hoping one doesn’t. I don’t want them to get hurt, but I like going with Dad.
“Hey TJ” dad says, and then stops for a minute. “I want to talk to you about something.”
“Ok” I look at him waiting. He runs his hand through his hair then starts to talk.
“I have something to tell you that I think you should know TJ. It’s not easy and I wish it wasn’t true.” I look at him, not having a clue what in the world he is talking about.
“What dad?”
“I just… I just think you should know. I wanted to adopt you, but it just never happened.”
“What?” What is he trying to tell me?
“Before I met your mom she was with a different guy.”
“Oh! Tony’s dad?”
“No this was a different guy. When she was with him she got pregnant. They didn’t get along and she left him. Then I met your mom. When I met her she was pregnant with you and I have been your dad ever since. But, TJ, I’m not your real dad.” I just look at him. What is he talking about? Not my dad?
“But why? How come you can’t be my real dad? I don’t want a different dad.” He looks at me and I am surprised to see his eyes are wet, like he is going to cry.
“You are not going to get a different dad. He is not a nice man. I will always be your dad. Always. I just think you should know about it.” I look at him then get worried.
“Does mom know? Is she gonna be mad?” He laughs.
“Yes she knows” he laughs some more. “When you get home ask your mom who John is and she will tell you all about it. Are you ready to go home?” I look at him for a minute then just nod my head. We drive home and when we go in my mom is setting the table for us.
“Mom… who is John?” her head snaps up and she looks from me to my dad.
“What are you talking about?” Now I’m confused. Dad said she would know.
“My real dad? Dad said I have a different dad.” Her head turns toward my father.
“You ignorant mother fucker. Tara go to your room.” I look at my dad who just shakes his head and then head  towards my room. I don’t even get all the way down the hall before I hear my mom.
“Who the fuck do you think you are? You have no right! You have no fucking right! She doesn’t need to fucking know about it!” I shut my door, sit on my bed and wish I had only one dad... and supper.

3 comments:

  1. Whew.

    Strong stuff, beautifully handled. The hunting and TJ not wanting the deer to be hurt but wanting to be with her dad. The delivery of the news is done with restraint and dignity. Excellent dialogue. The mother's reaction is both shocking but, then again, not really a surprise. More excellent rendering of speech.

    And the last sentence is really a corker, outstanding.

    The school literary magazine might be interested if you want to submit this.

    Thank god your mother stayed healthy (I assume) because if she had died when you were a minor and your father had not adopted you, you would have wound up with John or with DHS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this to my wife: "That's absolutely perfect!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. Mr. Goldfine

    ReplyDelete